[CLUG-chat] [CLUG-announce] Upcoming CLUG Talk: Future conflicts between the Ubuntu and GNOME communities

Jonathan Hitchcock vhata at clug.org.za
Tue Feb 22 23:33:31 SAST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:16, Stefano Rivera <stefano at clug.org.za> wrote:

> Date:      22 February 2011
> Topic:     Future conflicts between the Ubuntu and GNOME communities
> Presenter: Phil Bull

This was a really good talk - I think more people should have attended.
 There was a bit of a surreal moment near the beginning when a guy wearing a
Darth Vader helmet walked in (some student trying to be funny?), but Phil
made some excellent (non-flamewar-starting) points about the way the GNOME
and Ubuntu communities are diverging, and how it seems like there will not
be much compatibility or common ground for much longer if things continue on
their current paths (especially with respect to Ubuntu choosing to develop
its own Unity desktop, instead of using Gnome-Shell).

After the talk there was some good discussion.  A moment that stands out for
me was when James Neethling asked why Ubuntu were acting in such a seemingly
irrational way, creating their own GNOME-competitor simply because GNOME
disagreed with them on a few basic UI points...

...  That was the moment that the guy in the Darth Vader helmet took it off
and revealed himself to be Mark Shuttleworth.  At which point even more very
lively and interesting discussion occurred, and I wish there had been more
people there to partake.