[CLUG-chat] Buying a laptop

Mogamat Abrahams lists at tabits.co.za
Tue Aug 18 09:55:03 SAST 2009

Mark Widdicombe wrote:
> That's part of the point.  The OEM is just as powerless as the
> distributor because MS has them in a catch-22 position: in order to
> get their bulk OEM discount on MS products, they must agree not to
> offer anything else.  To break that agreement would be committing
> commercial suicide, so they don't and the only loser is the consumer.
I do get your point, but is that consumer segment significant enough to
warrant a response/Solution/Threat?
> This car analogy is really old, and doesn't apply to the situation.
> Would you not complain if there were several manufacturers of car
> tyres, but every car manufacturer was only allowed to fit the most
> expensive ones, which are also the lowest quality and have to be
> reinflated three times a day?
Ok, Try to buy a golf GTI with Goodyear tyres and see where that gets
you :-)
> No.  I refuse to pay for a product I neither want nor need.  That's
> extortion.  (And also the reason I refuse to buy a TV licence, and
> will set the dogs on any arsehole who wants to inspect same.)
There are more creative ways to "get your own back" so to speak, I wont
go into it here. Just as there are various ways to avoid TV license,
traffic fines, taxes, authority, oppression - but is one willing to deal
with the consequences?

Mogamat