[CLUG-chat] Buying a laptop

Mark Widdicombe markwiddicombe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 07:22:18 SAST 2009

2009/8/17 Mogamat Abrahams <lists at tabits.co.za>

> The distributor is really powerless on this one. They move cardboard boxes,
> so one can understand their point about it being pre-installed.

That's part of the point.  The OEM is just as powerless as the distributor
because MS has them in a catch-22 position: in order to get their bulk OEM
discount on MS products, they must agree not to offer anything else.  To
break that agreement would be committing commercial suicide, so they don't
and the only loser is the consumer.

> Would you buy/sell a car without tyres?

This car analogy is really old, and doesn't apply to the situation.  Would
you not complain if there were several manufacturers of car tyres, but every
car manufacturer was only allowed to fit the most expensive ones, which are
also the lowest quality and have to be reinflated three times a day?

> If you dont agree with the eula, dont accept it, format the thing and
> consider the os as part of the cost of the hardware. Its only a few hundred
> bucks and by the time it reaches you, MS have already spent the money :-)

No.  I refuse to pay for a product I neither want nor need.  That's
extortion.  (And also the reason I refuse to buy a TV licence, and will set
the dogs on any arsehole who wants to inspect same.)