[CLUG-chat] Buying a laptop

Dirk Lucas dirk.lucas at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 07:14:16 SAST 2009

> E.g. Dell and
> several other hardware vendors will sell you certain hardware models
> with Linux pre-installed. It should be obvious that it is quite within
> their power to put whatever OS on the hardware that they choose to.
> Try buying server hardware and suddenly you can buy hardware from the
> very same vendor with a choice of Linux / Unix / Windows...
>
> Liam

I share your view on this. Agreements, contracts and profitmargins are the
culprits. They simply make more profit on the same machine with MS than the
one without MS. The current practice is that you do not have a choice, so
there is NO competition in the arena, so they get away with it. In the UK,
Dell is selling the same machines without MS, but in SA they get away with
it, so why change, they simply make more profit.

Best
Dirk