[CLUG-chat] Buying a laptop

Liam Smit liam.smit at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 22:18:10 SAST 2009

Hi

I'm not trying to start a flame war but I could not disagree more strongly.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 8:45 PM, Mogamat Abrahams<lists at tabits.co.za> wrote:
> Mark Widdicombe wrote
>>
>> Yes, they do have one or two machines available with linux preinstalled,
>> but not the specification I want.  The point is that hardware and software
>> should not be bundled.
>
> The distributor is really powerless on this one. They move cardboard boxes,
> so one can understand their point about it being pre-installed.

No offence intended but that is just complete nonsense. E.g. Dell and
several other hardware vendors will sell you certain hardware models
with Linux pre-installed. It should be obvious that it is quite within
their power to put whatever OS on the hardware that they choose to.
Try buying server hardware and suddenly you can buy hardware from the
very same vendor with a choice of Linux / Unix / Windows...

>> A particular hardware configuration can run a variety of software and a
>> particular OS can run on a variety of hardware, in other words they are
>> separate products from different manufacturers and should be sold
>> separately.
>
> Would you buy/sell a car without tyres? I do understand the cause though,
> the choice should be there for users who require it, but take into account
> the economies of scale needed to justify this.

More like buying a car and doing the registration, road worthy,
licensing yourself than paying the dealer to do it for you...

> If you dont agree with the eula, dont accept it, format the thing and
> consider the os as part of the cost of the hardware. Its only a few hundred
> bucks and by the time it reaches you, MS have already spent the money :-)
> But aluta continua, may those who are struggling for the cause be granted
> success!

Why pay for something you neither want nor need. While I'm sure MS
won't mind you paying for their product and not actually using it, it
makes not sense for the person handing over their hard earned money.

Regards,

Liam