[CLUG-chat] Buying a laptop

Jonathan Groll lists at groll.co.za
Mon Aug 17 16:00:56 SAST 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 03:16:56PM +0200, Mark Widdicombe wrote:
>2009/8/17 Dirk Lucas <dirk.lucas at gmail.com>
>

>>  In terms of buying a laptop, there does not seem to be much chance of
>> buying one without MS, at least not any decent one. I also tried high and
>> low, but nothing.  The only one that I could find was a Dell Vostro with a
>> bigger pricetag than most for the privelage of not paying MS.
>>

>I did find this, which is more or less what I'm looking for:
>http://www.comx.co.za/Buy-Notebooks-Laptops-M760S-DC-LINUX-Proline-M760S-Notebook-lp-27084.php
>
>I had a low-end proline before which worked well with Ubuntu, but I left it
>on a train so I don't know whether or not it is still working.  This one has
>much more grunt, so I'll probably get it.

It is cheap, I'll give it that, but the hardware is very old, ie. you
could have bought a laptop with these same specs 3 years ago.

The processor is only a T3400. To quote http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=463415
"The T3400 is a pentium dual core, that is NOT core duo or core 2 duo
and the later architecture has significant improvements including unified
cache etc". There is no onboard bluetooth either.

If I were you I would shop around some more.

Cheers,
Jonathan