[CLUG-chat] Buying a laptop

Mark Widdicombe markwiddicombe at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 13:31:01 SAST 2009

Hi all,

This thread petered out a while ago.  I am now in the market for a new
laptop, so would like to know if anything came of Dirk's plan to bring the
heinous state of affairs vis-a-vis Windows to the attention of the
Competition Commission?  If they have, I should imagine the wheels grind
slowly, and by the time they outlaw the practice of bundling software we'll
be reformatting the hard drives on our inter-galactic star cruisers and
installing Ubuntu 2525.04 thereon.  I have written to Dell, HP and Sahara
and none of them respond at all--presumably because they don't want to
provide written ammunition to anyone who would mount any sort of legal
challenge to the practice.

Ciao,
Mark