[CLUG-chat] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

David Robert Lewis ethnopunk at telkomsa.net
Fri Aug 7 21:05:06 SAST 2009

William Walter Kinghorn wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Personally, I liked the one and only Install fest that I attended here in Durban a few years back, I was a helper not a Newbie, but I want something more, like my email that I sent with 2 attachements, unfortunatly it has to be moderated before being sent, as it is bigger that 40k
>
> An install fest is where you bring your own PC/Laptop or whatever, and be helped installing your preferred Distro on it and hand out CDs and phamplets, That is if you or we have the right install CDs/DVDs, and also if we have a person who can help you with the preferred Distro. Beer is not a requirement, but some people seem to require it. After the fest some of the helpers sometimes go some ware for food and drinks.
>
> The CDs that are given are generally Linux related, but can be OSS apps that run on MS Windows ( Some people don't want to run Linux, but want OSS apps )
>
> William

I agree, installfests are nothing new. However, that does not prevent us
from doing something completely different, and hosting installfests in
neighbourhoods where Linux could make a difference. No point in simply
replicating the outreach to the top-end. I am thinking about working
class suburbs of Cape Town, such as Athlone, Landsdowne etc.

--
888          8 8
 8  8d8b. .d88 8 .d8b. Yb  dP 8   8