[CLUG-chat] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

Jonathan Hitchcock vhata at clug.org.za
Fri Aug 7 12:01:45 SAST 2009

Hi,

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:29 AM, Dirk Lucas<dirk.lucas at gmail.com> wrote:
> This type of condacending response from you is exactly what I am reffering
> to. It might be incomprehensible to you that anybody can struggle with
> playing DVD's for the first time on Ubuntu. This is not due to a lack of
> intelligence, but due to a lack of knowledge and experience.

I apologise if I came across as condescending - that was certainly not
my intent.  In addition, I certainly can comprehend that people can
struggle with computers - I have a mother and sisters that are always
asking for help.

My intention was to point out that sometimes, if you type exactly what
you sent to the mailing list, into google, and click on the very first
result, you get detailed instructions on how to solve it that are
possibly better than you'd get from the mailing list.  When this is
the case, mailing lists get frustrated and you get sarcasm back.

I am well aware that users often don't know what their problem is, or
what to google for - when this is the case, I like to think that we
are often (but sadly, not always) more tolerant.  If somebody does
come down too hard on a new user, then the rest of the list should
gently correct them.  But this is all basic list etiquette, and we are
digressing from the topic.

My original point (and it was not really directed at you - I was not
implying that you were calling for installfests all over the place)
was that we need to find something CLUG can do that benefits all of
its users, and installfests and problem-solving-workshops are not
useful enough to the majority of our users to be the go-to solution.
They are, of course, good to have, and I'm glad William is taking the
initiative.  But we need more!

(An installfest is, sadly, not so much like a beerfest.  It's where a
lot of people bring their PCs and everybody helps them install Linux
and get it set up and working properly.  It could involve beer
though!)