[CLUG-chat] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

William Walter Kinghorn williamk at dut.ac.za
Fri Aug 7 08:29:24 SAST 2009

Hi All,

Attached is what I have started preparing, If people would like to help with this, you can, only thing is that I am Using Ubuntu, and don't want to confuse the Newbie.

Maybe what is needed is every 2 months hold a "Newbie Saturday", and then the very next Saturday hold a Workshop, where you teach the rest, this can be based on what I have attached, maybe call the doc for
"Newbie Saturday" "Ubuntu-GNU-Linux-in-a-Saturday" and base it on the attached docs

On "Newbie Saturday", Start at 9:00 Am for 2 or 3 hrs, and then the same again from say 2:00 PM., or just 1 session. Some people will prefer fro 2:00 as they want to do shopping, other will prefer 9:00 as they might want to watcg the Rugby or what ever

I used to start here at 8:00 and go until either I had enough, or there was no one else left, but most times people only came from 9:00 or 10:00

First 1/2 hr can be a quick intro to Linux and FLOSS, then installation ( aprox 1 hr with explanations ), and lastly how do you install software, then questions

One of the biggest problem will be what Distro/s to use, as the people who will do "Newbie Saturday" will have their personal favs, I don't have that problem as I am the person that does my "Newbie Saturday"

I think that we can build on this and make the experience for newbies a lot easier.

William