[CLUG-chat] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

Dirk Lucas dirk.lucas at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 16:19:23 SAST 2009

Hi Jonathan and all

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Jonathan Hitchcock <vhata at clug.org.za>wrote:

> This seems to be the opposite of what everybody else is saying:  we've
> had a number of people say that Linux is no longer new, and that we
> don't need installfests or basic tutorials, because google and the
> wiki handles all that.  I tend to agree with this latter viewpoint.

I agree that you do not need to be an expert anymore to use or install most
distros, and that information and troubleshooting is easier and more readily
available.  Still the fact remain that at some time or another any user is a
new user. It is quite a steep learning curve to troubleshoot some of the
Linux issues that arise. Some of them is even very well known and well
documented.

An example from my experience is to watch an encrypted dvd on Ubuntu. It
just dont work, so you have to start reading. It is quite a steep learning
curve. Ordinary computer users do not know about libdvdcss. For some
"simple" issues like this one, I have spent hours or days to sort it out. If
you do not understand the issue or the underlying principle, you can google
and get it to work eventually, but without knowing what you are doing at
all.  As a last resort some users post questions here, just to get a comment
like "here is the solution, but in the future go google it first". I have
used Ubuntu and some other distros now for the last 3 years and still I am
very hesitant to post a question here for that same reason.

Introductions as William is doing is much more in line with what is needed
than an installfest if I may add my 2bits. That would also get a lot more
users to Linux. I would love to be part of something like that, but I have
not even considered going to one of the meetings as I would be totally out
of my depth.

Regards
Dirk