[CLUG-chat] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

William Walter Kinghorn williamk at dut.ac.za
Thu Aug 6 15:25:57 SAST 2009

Hi Jonathan, All,

"This seems to be the opposite of what everybody else is saying:  we've
had a number of people say that Linux is no longer new, and that we
don't need installfests or basic tutorials, because google and the
wiki handles all that.  I tend to agree with this latter viewpoint."

I stated in an earlier email that I hold Saturday get togethers here at work.

Most of the guys that come here have already tried some flavour of Linux, but have had difficulty with either installing it or whatever

I only do Ubuntu, this makes things easier for me, partly because I don't have to learn the differences with the other distros, I do mention some differences if I know them

I use GNOME, but I also mention a little about KDE, as possibly they might prefer that, it is up to them

Once I have shown them how to install the Ubuntu Live CD, and shown them Synaptic, and some of the apps working on Ubuntu, they seem to feel a lot better, and then start asking "What app on Linux does Graphic/Acrobat Reader/ Photoshop/Movie making/etc", then I show them first what Ubuntu has, and then show them apps not in Ubuntu, like Cinelerra, GimpShop, Medibuntu repos, etc

Once I have shown them the basics, they have gone to set up thier own PCs, and also servers, and they can do this because they have been given that initial step in the right direction.

Install fests are nice, but they need that little extra to help them going, and I don't mean that you give manuals and they must read, they need to be shown, and when they are comfortable, then they will carry on by themselves, and then you can give manuals or URLs for where the info is

So if you hold an install fest, please hold something later that will build on from that install fest.

William