[CLUG-chat] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

Jonathan Hitchcock vhata at clug.org.za
Thu Aug 6 13:23:17 SAST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Stefano Rivera<stefano at clug.org.za> wrote:
> I noticed almost immediately on coming to a random meeting or two, that
> the CLUG seemed to be a Ubuntu/Redhat linux user group. There have been
> no, to my knowledge, departures from this and hence someone like myself,
> using opensuse is an 'outcast'.

Quite to the contrary!  Most old-school CLUGgers are Debianites, but
we make a point of talking about other distributions (my Conary talk,
and one or two Gentoo talks, for example, and when we did "packaging",
we covered as many as we could).  We always try to be as general as
possible.

> A second point is that there have been several talks I have had an
> interest in and yet unless I was able to attend the talk, I had no way
> of downloading any speaker  notes on the topic. Further there is no
> archive of previous speaker notes.

This is bad - we should always put our talks up on the wiki, it's true.

> My third point is that Linux is a new technology that many people are
> just starting to learn. I have been using Linux and the KDE interface
> for over 2 yrs and have often wanted to tackle the cli but after reading
> the man pages, couldn't figure out the correct syntax of the commands I
> need ie scp between two machines. Even more basic is the description of
> software repositories and which ones should be loaded on a distro to
> keep its software update with new software releases?

This seems to be the opposite of what everybody else is saying:  we've
had a number of people say that Linux is no longer new, and that we
don't need installfests or basic tutorials, because google and the
wiki handles all that.  I tend to agree with this latter viewpoint.