[CLUG-chat] [CLUG-announce] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

Jonathan Hitchcock vhata at clug.org.za
Wed Aug 5 16:31:22 SAST 2009

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Jonathan Carter
(highvoltage)<jonathan at clug.org.za> wrote:
> On the subject of the "hecklers", I don't think they're all
> that bad, and I quite enjoy them. They make the talks so much more
> interesting by contributing. You've done it as well before like at the
> bash customization talk.

I don't think they're bad at all (and I know that I'm one of the worst
of them) - it's not heckling so much as adding your knowledge to that
of the speaker.  The reason I mentioned it, however, is that newcomers
get alienated by the fact that everybody at the front seems to be
having a big ol' chat together, while they sit at the back trying to
take notes and learn.

It actually always frustrates me when I see people sitting there with
a notepad and pen, because I can see they want to take notes, and take
something away, but the talks just aren't conducive to that.  You can
jot down a few commands, but you can't really gain anything other than
a slightly better understanding of the topic - this is why I prefer
the hands-on demonstration approach, where you actually do it yourself
and really learn.