[CLUG-chat] [CLUG-announce] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

wayne plettpc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 15:30:15 SAST 2009

Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 1:40 PM, Jonathan Carter
> (highvoltage)<jonathan at clug.org.za> wrote:
>> we're quite gentle when newcomers ask questions on the -tech list,
>> even when they start breaking the rules.
>
> Are we?  Are we really?
>
> I think CLUG has a worse reputation for list-rule-nazism than most
> other communities in South Africa.  Alleviating this might also
> alleviate the impression of technical elitism that y'all are talking
> about.
>
>> Perhaps we can do things like mark how technical or how complex the
>> subject matter of a CLUG talk is when it's announced so that users who
>> are specifically interested in introductory-level talks can spot them
>> easier.
>
> But when we've had entry-level talks, they don't work either.  I know
> this, because I've given some of them.  What often happens is that the
> talk itself is fairly easy, but the regular CLUG old boy's club sits
> at the front and heckles and chats and discusses, and any newcomers
> who might be at the talk sit cowering at the back, scared to
> participate because they don't understand half of the discussion or
> the in-jokes and heckling.  In other words, the high-level attendees
> turn entry-level talks into high-level talks.
>
> I think the real problem lies with the idea of "talks", which seems a
> little flawed.  You can't *really* learn too much in an hour on a
> Tuesday night, and anything you can learn, you could have got from
> Google anyway.  Real value would be gained from demonstrations, or
> workshops - those are things that Google and mailing lists cannot
> provide.  However, they're much more difficult to organise, and
> require much more commitment to attend.  For example, ubuntu-za's
> Saturday packaging jams were very valuable, but did require the
> sacrifice of a Saturday.  I do think it's a good idea to look into
> this, though, but maybe on a less frequent basis - once a month or
> whatever?
> --

I haven't been to a meeting yet, Out of town, Plett, But I must agree
that a hour can't achieve much, if I count all the endless hours spent
getting up to speed myself.
A Saturday to donate with all the brains around, will be priceless.

Here's me off to try and figure out why, a radius is not accepting, a Db
  used in phpmyprepaid. A good few hours I suppose.

Wayne A