[CLUG-chat] [CLUG-announce] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

Stefano Rivera stefano at clug.org.za
Wed Aug 5 14:25:29 SAST 2009

Hi Brent (2009.08.05_14:03:38_+0200)
> Reason I say is, I remember when I started out, my approach was, and
> still to this day is,  be quiet, learn with as much as I can with my
> ears and eyes, but more importantly go and attend. Ive attended meets
> for topics that were of interest to me.

Yes, I started like that too. The first CLUG talk I went to was *waay* over my
head, and I don't think I stopped to talk to anyone. Needless to say, I didn't
go again for a while.

> P.s. Clug may want to make it easier to access, as you have to wait for
> someone to either exit, or wait for bypasser with access to the premises
> (Just something you may want to keep in mind).

UCT's access control is getting problematic. In the old days, we just turned up
and had a talk (UCT campus buildings were always open).

These days, you have to get past the security guards at the booms, then get
into the building. *I* don't even have access to that building, and have to
wait for someone else to come out, or call one of the CLUG members who works
there.

Plus, there is no cellphone signal in the lecture theatre, so if you arrive
late, you can't phone anyone to let you in...

Our solutions to that are:
* I remind UCT security in the afternoon, that CLUGgers are coming, and to be
  nice to them.
* We have someone (usually Marc) watching the door until about 18:40.
* If you are going to be late, give one of us a call or send an SMS, and we'll
  wait for you.

SR

--
Stefano Rivera