[CLUG-chat] [CLUG-announce] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

Brent Clark brentgclarklist at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 14:03:38 SAST 2009

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) wrote:
> Now and again I come across a company or a mini-Linux-community such as
> the #ctwug-linux channel on CTWUG. Often, members of these communities
> say they don't want to join CLUG or they don't come to the meetings
> because they think that CLUG is elitist or only for extremely technical
> people with years of Linux experience. I've also come across this at
> conferences and similar events.
>
> I don't think that there's really a big problem, but the perception is
> out there. We've had quite a few beginner-level talks and we're quite
> gentle when newcomers ask questions on the -tech list, even when they
> start breaking the rules.
Hiya

Although I fully agree with everything you have just said, I on somewhat
... disagree.

Reason I say is, I remember when I started out, my approach was, and
still to this day is,  be quiet, learn with as much as I can with my
ears and eyes, but more importantly go and attend. Ive attended meets
for topics that were of interest to me.

Backups by NBM,
Ldap by Andy (Im not going to even try with the surname, therefore my
apologies)
Netfilter / Iptables by Stefeno
and the list goes on.

With all this said, and personally,  a person needs to take this in a
mature manner, and really not be scared. How else is a person to learn.

My 2c

Regards
Brent Clark

P.s. Clug may want to make it easier to access, as you have to wait for
someone to either exit, or wait for bypasser with access to the premises
(Just something you may want to keep in mind).