[CLUG-chat] [CLUG-announce] Upcoming CLUG Talk: What can CLUG do for you?

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at clug.org.za
Wed Aug 5 13:40:50 SAST 2009

Stefano

Stefano Rivera wrote:
> We have a lot of members on our mailing lists, and there are a lot of Linux
> users in Cape Town. Is there anything we can do for our members that would
> actually be useful?
>
> While there's nothing I hate more that soul-searching "What are we here for?"
> meetings, I think it's time for CLUG to try and work out if there's anything we
> could improve on.

Now and again I come across a company or a mini-Linux-community such as
the #ctwug-linux channel on CTWUG. Often, members of these communities
say they don't want to join CLUG or they don't come to the meetings
because they think that CLUG is elitist or only for extremely technical
people with years of Linux experience. I've also come across this at
conferences and similar events.

I don't think that there's really a big problem, but the perception is
out there. We've had quite a few beginner-level talks and we're quite
gentle when newcomers ask questions on the -tech list, even when they
start breaking the rules.

Perhaps we can do things like mark how technical or how complex the
subject matter of a CLUG talk is when it's announced so that users who
are specifically interested in introductory-level talks can spot them
easier.

Perhaps something that should be discussed on Tuesday as well.

-Jonathan