[CLUG-chat] CLUG Park noise

Antoine van Gelder antoine at g7.org.za
Sun Jan 20 19:06:19 SAST 2008

Stefano Rivera wrote:
> Is CLUG Park suffering a tradgedy of the commons?
>
> In the beginning, with only a few syndications, we made the decision not
> to filter anything, and to carry entire blog feeds. Some members were
> concerned about having personal thoughts syndicated, but I was a
> proponent of no filtering, because I genuinely want to follow the full
> feeds (and pretend to have the time to do so). My argument always was
> that if the noise got too bad, we could create a separate clug-tech-park
> using tag/category filtering.
>
> Some mutterings on #clug led me to try that this afternoon, but quite
> simple as I'd thought. The problem is not so much personal posts as
> social-networking/blogging related posts. Hardly anyone has a
> "technical" tag (or even tags properly at all). The real solution seems
> to be to create a separate, more conservative clug park, where you can
> submit a technical feed if you have one, or you can prove that you don't
> post more than a handful of times a week, and they are interesting
> posts...
>
> Does anyone have any sensible ideas?

Tags are my preferred convenience as I do not have to limit my output or
maintain separate blogs for each of the different communities that I am
part of.

That said, if there was a technical.park.clug.org.za which would only
pick up on the posts I tag with 'technical' that would also be wondrous :)

 - antoine