[CLUG-chat] CLUG Park noise

Stefano Rivera stefano at clug.org.za
Sun Jan 20 18:17:02 SAST 2008

Is CLUG Park suffering a tradgedy of the commons?

In the beginning, with only a few syndications, we made the decision not
to filter anything, and to carry entire blog feeds. Some members were
concerned about having personal thoughts syndicated, but I was a
proponent of no filtering, because I genuinely want to follow the full
feeds (and pretend to have the time to do so). My argument always was
that if the noise got too bad, we could create a separate clug-tech-park
using tag/category filtering.

Some mutterings on #clug led me to try that this afternoon, but quite
simple as I'd thought. The problem is not so much personal posts as
social-networking/blogging related posts. Hardly anyone has a
"technical" tag (or even tags properly at all). The real solution seems
to be to create a separate, more conservative clug park, where you can
submit a technical feed if you have one, or you can prove that you don't
post more than a handful of times a week, and they are interesting
posts...

Does anyone have any sensible ideas?

SR

--