[CLUG-chat] Cannot SSH into Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 after freifunk flash

Roland Giesler roland at giesler.za.net
Wed Nov 22 12:26:36 SAST 2006

On Wednesday 22 November 2006 07:44, wayne wrote:
> Colin Alston wrote:
> > Roland Giesler wrote:
> >> I have flashed the 2nd above unit and something weird is happening.
> >> The first flash went 100%, OLSR is set up and I can SSH into the unit
> >> (ssh -L 8080:localhost:80 root at 10.0.250.2).  The units time is also
> >> correct.
> >
> > After a flash you need generally need to telnet to the unit and set the
> > root password.
>
> IIRC > ssh is not installed as default, u have to telnet then install
> ssh.
It seems SSH is included with Freifunk, but moreso, it's not that SSH is not
there, it's that my logon is rejected.  Yet I can use the same logon (root)
when I connect to the web interface on port 80!?

I can also connect to the unit via TFTP, but it doesn't help much.

Also, it seems that the reset button is not enable in Freifunk, unless of
course my config is so messed up that it doesn't work anymore.  Although the
GUI is 100% and I can change IP addresses and setting, restart and the
changes are kept/applied.

Maybe I should just reflash...

Roland

> The time issue does not effect the normal running of the software
> as on all my units the time starts @ 1900 everytime on reboot.
> I would also advise using:
> BusyBox v1.00 (2005.11.23-21:46+0000) Built-in shell (ash)
> Enter 'help' for a list of built-in commands.
>
>    _______                     ________        __
>
>   |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
>   |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
>   |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
>            |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M

>    * 2 oz Vodka   Mix the Vodka and Kahlua together
>    * 1 oz Kahlua  over ice, then float the cream or
>    * 1/2oz cream  milk on the top.

Roland Giesler
Green Tree Systems cc
Stellenbosch