[CLUG-chat] ISPs adding footer to scanned emails

Bretton Vine bretton at hivemind.net
Fri Nov 17 14:09:17 SAST 2006

David Kent said the following on 2006/11/17 11:35 AM:
> Anybody know anything about a so-called international law requiring an ISP to
> tag a footer onto every email message they've scanned for viruses? That's the
> explanation my ISP is giving me.

There is no such law. However technically 'scanning for virus/spam' is
similar to passive interception which is not allowed without a warrant and
the appropriate law enforcement organisation.

> About a week ago my ISP started adding this footer to the body of every
> email message I pop from their mailserver:

They're a member of ISPA. The following applies:

  http://www.ispa.org.za/code/index.shtml
  http://www.ispa.org.za/regcom/advisories.shtml

regards
--
| Bretton Vine | 083 633 8475 | bretton at hivemind.net |
| GPG: http://bretton.hivemind.net/bretton_vine.asc  |

Cryonics: Disney thawed. Mickey gnawed. Omigawd. - Eileen Gunn