[CLUG-chat] (ZA) Illegal Wireless ISP operators put users at risk

Bretton Vine bretton at hivemind.net
Tue Nov 14 11:25:25 SAST 2006

Mogamat Abrahams said the following on 2006/11/14 10:12 AM:
> This is why the movie pirates in the ghetto's do such good business -
> the people making the laws/prices etc are living in another world (and
> another income bracket!)

I beg to disagree. People in any income sector will purchase a
cheaper/pirate product if they could do so. It's a rare few who buy
original, and the real collectors don't go via local distributors at all.

> most people this side of the city are going
> for the cheapie/pirate/illegal services only due to the cost factor,
> just as everyone _would like_ to drive a licensed car/taxi, if the other
> ISPs would provide cheaper costs they would not have to complain about
> loosing clients....

Right, so you're arguing that because $illegal_isp didn't properly research
the costs of the business model of operating a legal ISP, legal ISPs must
drop their costs. I'm sorry, I don't buy that.

There are people running ISPs off ADSL lines, completely ignorant of the
legal ramifications. The more aware people are of the legal requirements,
the more informed people will be as to how to approach the business model in
a legal and profitable manner. (And the fewer likely to fall foul of the law
in a bad way should things turn out like that)

If you can only make a profit by breaking the law, then one has to question
the legitimacy of the business model no? I do however agree that there are
many superfluous and unnecessary financial and legal requirements to be an ISP.

That is why bending the law for no profit makes more sense. The following
applies:

 "In no sense do I advocate evading or defying the law ... That would lead
  to anarchy. An individual who breaks a law that his conscience tells him
  is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order
  to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in
  reality expressing the highest respect for law."
  - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Passive civil disobedience through seeding and interconnecting community
mesh networks is the only way to build a resilient system independent of the
one you purchase access to.

ymmv

--
| Bretton Vine | 083 633 8475 | bretton at hivemind.net |
| GPG: http://bretton.hivemind.net/bretton_vine.asc  |

It cost too much, staying human. - Bruce Sterling