[CLUG-chat] linux wifi hardware

A.J. Venter aj at getopenlab.com
Mon May 22 12:01:41 SAST 2006

> Well, I'm not sure about "huge amounts" - the madwifi drivers still need
> a binary blob to work (the Atheros HAL) and certainly aren't open by any
> stretch of the imagination. The only open source driver that supports
> Atheros based cards is the OpenBSD ath(4) driver, which doesn't need the
> blob.
>
> Like Colin, when I was still trying to use my D-Link Atheros-based card
> (DWL-650 I think - don't have it with me right now) with madwifi, I had
> nothing but trouble, including kernel panics.

I think there is a measure of misunderstanding here. I am NOT talking about
the madwifi drivers - I am specifically talking about the madwifi-ng drivers.
Not entirely the same thing:
And while like everyone else I prefer 100% open drivers, I also realize that
companies sometimes CANNOT do this.
NVidia has taken huge flack for their closed linux drivers but the truth is
that they have no choice in the matter. If you want to blame somebody - blame
the company they outsourced the hardware communications layer to. Said
company licensed the code back to them (and this was several years ago).
NVidia cannot make their driver free because most of that driver they do not
own the copyright to - and the company behind the scenes are happy to not do
anything because all the flack is going to their customer !

So back on topic, it's a pity Atheros did not open up the binary part but on
the other hand they did go to great lengths to make sure the driver-wrapper
for linux does work well (and these days it works wonderfully - your
experiences with pre-ng versions are not a good measurement). Considdering
that Atheros is in a similar boat to Nvidia - both companies have done what
they can.
I may be greatly saddened by the negative impact of these companies' past
mistakes but they were mistakes made by the legal teams who negotiated
outsourcing contracts - I won't blame some incredibly dedicated and smart
engineers for dumb corporate lawyers.
http://madwifi.org/wiki/ngFeatures

Ciao
A.J.

--
"80% Of a hardware engineer's job is application of the uncertainty principle.
80% of a software engineer's job is pretending this isn't so."