[CLUG-chat] Lenovo to shun Linux?

Duncan Anderson duncangareth at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jun 6 21:58:56 SAST 2006

On Tuesday, 6 June 2006 15:39, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 June 2006 13:04, Duncan Anderson wrote:
> > As far as most
> > vendors are concerned, the ideal employee is a youngster with
> > minimal skill and expectations with regard to salary, etc. The
> > average highly skilled UNIX/Linux support person will not work for
> > the kind of derisive wages offered by the large vendors.
>
> Very true. I don't understand why vendors do this, but it's rampant.
>
> > Your point about "community support" is a valid one, though. It may
> > be the only hope.
>
> Since when was community support anything other than the only
> realistic support channel?

Well, that definitely applies to GNU/Linux/BSD, etc. You are absolutely
correct. I can remember the days when certain vendors such as SCO used to
provide really comprehensive and good support to distributors(at a high
price) and indirectly to dealers, until the avarice factor entered the
picture and they fscked it all up for UNIX users by selling out to cowboys
with no brains and less knowledge.

I suppose you can't really blame Doug Michels and company for taking the
money. That's business. Anyway, they don't make vendor support the way they
used to... :-) (Ar, them were the days, mate)

Community support, on the other hand, can't be sold off.

cheers
Duncan