[CLUG-chat] Linksys or MikroTik?

Mogamat Abrahams tech at cyber-worx.co.za
Thu Aug 31 14:51:09 SAST 2006

Roland Giesler wrote:
> I need to choose one as a platform to build wireless networks on, and
> while the mikrotik is technically superiour (I'm led to believe), the
> Linksys WRT54GL, once flashed with new firmware, seems to be quite
> powerful too.
Why not use WRAP boards, along with the many options they support, for
your backbone and use regular a/p's for the client side?
This way you not tied into a vendor for features and upgrades (Linksys)
and license keys (ala Microtik) etc

You can build a robust and stable network access point with meshing and
80211.a/b/g for around R1600 using the wrap and any of the dozen or so
open source x86 o/s's around.

Mogamat