[CLUG-chat] Linksys or MikroTik?

Roland Giesler roland at giesler.za.net
Wed Aug 30 23:43:26 SAST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 20:40 +0200, Rory Austin wrote:
> I have a WRT54G (v2.2) and a RB112. The WRT54G(L) is awesome value for
> money when using a third party firmware. The RB112 and more
> specifically RouterOS are just on a completely different level. All
> depends on your needs really...
Well, one this I would like is consistency.  Which means (as Hendrik
mentioned) a stable supply, as well as not having to maintain multiple
platforms.

On the other hand, maybe I should not make the choice.  The Mikrotik kit
would be great for the central AP's and major high-sites, while the
Linksys or Gigabyte (which is also Linux apparently) can be used as
CPE's.  It's more affordable that putting MikroTik kit all over.

> As for your example I don't any of the GUI based firmwares offer that
> but I imagine if you can do it in BSD/Linux you can probably do it
> using OpenWRT. I don't know how but I'd bet that you can definitely do
> it on a RB112.
>
> Why don't you come have a chat on irc with some experts on
> hub.jawug.za.net #wnet. Those guys know more than me...
I'll definitely do that, maybe in the morning or tomorrow night.

Cheers

Roland