[CLUG-chat] Linksys or MikroTik?

Rory Austin clug at radv2.za.net
Wed Aug 30 20:40:12 SAST 2006

On 8/30/06, Roland Giesler <roland at giesler.za.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 18:41 +0200, Paul Scott wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 17:59 +0200, Roland Giesler wrote:
> > > Do any of you guys and gals have opinions (or hopefully experience)
> with
> > > wifi solutions regarding the mention two hardware platforms?
> > >
> > Ever since I got my LinkSys WRT54G I have never looked back. It is an
> > excellent product and covers my entire house, as well as the neighbours
> > with a decent signal. I have subsequently bought 4 more for friends and
> > relatives - plus recently the WRT54GL for my parents in law. I can only
> > recommend this device.
> Do you know if there are any possibilities for detailed routing,
> filtering, etc on these?  Could I, for example, have two completely
> different route set for two client connecting to the same AP?

Hey

I have a WRT54G (v2.2) and a RB112. The WRT54G(L) is awesome value for money
when using a third party firmware. The RB112 and more specifically RouterOS
are just on a completely different level. All depends on your needs
really...

As for your example I don't any of the GUI based firmwares offer that but I
imagine if you can do it in BSD/Linux you can probably do it using OpenWRT.
I don't know how but I'd bet that you can definitely do it on a RB112.

Why don't you come have a chat on irc with some experts on
hub.jawug.za.net#wnet. Those guys know more than me...

Rory