[CLUG-chat] IBM R50e

Percy Langa planga at pgwc.gov.za
Wed Aug 30 13:15:26 SAST 2006

>> Our employer paid ~15 grands per unit. I dont think it was worth it.
>
>Waargh, government gravy train!1!!!

That is the problem! A waste of all our taxes! And the suppliers keep
smiling :O(

As we speak..
I am busy requesting our IT department to buy 4 new PCs to replacement
old ones (2004 PCs) at a cost of ~10,5 grand per PC unit (IBMs - nothing
fancy, no plasma or lcd screens just std CRTs, no DVI hardware, no
DVD-R, no wireless keyboard or mouse, just the standard specs *grrrr*).
And you know what, my 2002 debian PC (AMD 750, Gigabyte Mobo) at home is
still in good condition despite all the punishment it takes from
(cedega) Unreal Tournament 2006 & OOo 2 tarball extract & compile :O) I
have even run Xpee on this museum piece with no major problems. Of
course I had to replace the power & fan, cpu fan, HDD, add RAM, a new
monitor, mouse & keyboard in order to keep it going.

Anyway..
Percy

"All views or opinions expressed in this electronic message and its attachments are the view of the sender and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Provincial Government of the Western Cape ("the PGWC').
No employee of the PGWC is entitled to conclude a binding contract on behalf of the PGWC unless he/she is an accounting officer of the PGWC, or his or her authorised representative.

The information contained in this message and its attachments may be confidential or privileged and is for the use of the named recipient only, except where the sender specifically states otherwise.

If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone."