[CLUG-chat] IBM R50e

Percy Langa planga at pgwc.gov.za
Wed Aug 30 12:17:58 SAST 2006

>> I's lookng to get a faster IBM and this is available - doesn't seem
that
>> much of an improvement though, so I'm undecided
[snip]
>For my next new one I want at least 4x the CPU and 4x
>the HD .. but not 4x the price :-]

I recently upgraded from T41 (CD-R, 128RAM) to T43 (CD-R, 500RAM). Some
of my colleagues upgraded to T43P (DVD-R + 1GIG RAM).

The only diff (b/n t41 & t43) is:
1. Min increment in overall performance due to add RAM (& faster HDD?
*not sure though*)
2. A bigger HDD (40 to 80)
3. Fingerprint password option (never tried it though)

Oh, by the way, the laptop carry bag & external stiffy drives (we still
use these, haha) is a separate cost :O(

Our employer paid ~15 grands per unit. I dont think it was worth it. We
could have simply added more RAM & acquired an additional 40 or 80gig
external HDD & two external DVD-Rs & new batteries at a cost of 25 grand
or less. The balance of the funds could be used for productivity
incentives & overtime payments :O(

1c..
Percy

"All views or opinions expressed in this electronic message and its attachments are the view of the sender and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of the Provincial Government of the Western Cape ("the PGWC').
No employee of the PGWC is entitled to conclude a binding contract on behalf of the PGWC unless he/she is an accounting officer of the PGWC, or his or her authorised representative.

The information contained in this message and its attachments may be confidential or privileged and is for the use of the named recipient only, except where the sender specifically states otherwise.

If you are not the intended recipient you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone."