[CLUG-chat] Bandwith monitor

Mark Ter Morshuizen mark at itbox.co.za
Tue Aug 29 13:30:20 SAST 2006

On Tuesday 29 August 2006 22:10, Jacques Steyn wrote:
> I have a client who ones a guest house but are a member of a group of guest
> houses. He wants to put a "kiosk" related service available to all his
> guests. The idea is as follows:
>
> Upon arrival, the guest registers his laptop on the wireless network. He
> will then have access to e.g. web, ftp and mail. This needs to be monitored
> and summarized. Upon checking out, he will then received a bill of the
> bandwidth used during his stay.
>
> I am looking for a web enabled interface to grant access to web related
> services without having the need to install any apps on the laptop.
>
> I know there are user friendly open source solutions available.
>
> Could someone please advise me

Hi Jacques,

I would do the following:

Use DHCP3 to assign each guest an IP address.
Use squid to proxy and log all web requests / traffic.
Make a PHP page that parses the squid logs to show who used how much bandwidth
with a nice web interface.

Just my suggestion. I'm sure there are (many) other ways to kill the same cat.

Cheers,
--
Mark Ter Morshuizen
mark at itbox.co.za