[CLUG-chat] Bandwith monitor

Shawn Jooste shawn at csponline.co.za
Tue Aug 29 13:23:39 SAST 2006

> This is my first posting to CLUG. I am a newbie when it comes to Linux
> although I have managed to do a few things with some degree of success. I am
> eager to learn and wish I could have the opportunity to spend more time
> testing and experimenting.

Welcome.

> My request is as follows:
>
> I have a client who ones a guest house but are a member of a group of guest
> houses. He wants to put a "kiosk" related service available to all his
> guests. The idea is as follows:
>

> Upon arrival, the guest registers his laptop on the wireless network. He
> will then have access to e.g. web, ftp and mail. This needs to be monitored
> and summarized. Upon checking out, he will then received a bill of the
> bandwidth used during his stay.
>

> I am looking for a web enabled interface to grant access to web related
> services without having the need to install any apps on the laptop.
>

> I know there are user friendly open source solutions available.

Cacti should do it. Cacti will simply log the traffic from that
machines IP, you can create a guest account where the guest can view
his traffic, and you can also have an admin account where you can work
out how much he needs to be billed.

The other solution would be to use IPCop as a firewall, and use one of
the billing modules. IPCop will log the MAC addess and allow you to
restrict the user to set amount of traffic. So you could let the user
pay upfront for data, so if you use ADSL, you could use a per MB
account from atlantic and charge the guest 20c per mb, and he pays
upfront for the data in say, 1GB denominations.

Might work,

--
Regards,

Shawn