[CLUG-chat] 64-bit Linux

Russell Tiedt rtiedt at rusty.org.za
Fri Aug 25 19:59:42 SAST 2006

Roland Giesler wrote:

>After using a number of Linux distros for a while (I'm still using
>Ubuntu on my desktop running in VMWare on XP), I've recently loaded
>PC-BSD on my desktop and 64bit FreeBSD 6.1 on some servers just to check
>it out.  I'm so pleased with it, that I'm staying with it.  Maybe you
>should try it.  I simply downloaded the boot ISO (just over a 25M if I
>recall correctly) and let it install from ftp4.za.freebsd.org (which is
>ftp.is.co.za).  You could even start the process from a boot diskette if
>you which to.

I liked FreeBSD last time I played with it, tho I never quiet got
comfortable with their device naming conventions, and some software I
run comes only in a Linux version, which would not run in Linux binary
compatable mode, version 4.0 if I recall correctly ...

>>Which distro's have a 64-bit version, and what are the URL's please.
>>

>www.freebsd.org

:-)

>>Seem to remember that Ubuntu, and Debian are/have 64-bit versions available.
>>

>Yes, and they work just as well.  One of my developers is running 64bit
> Kubuntu I think.  On an Intel Celeron EMT64 nogal!

Am  going to get my son one of those next week ... :-)
Cannot afford a genuine P4 ... :-((

>> Linux distro, that allows easy access to the command console without
>>having to load X/kde/gnome etc. preffered. i.e. Debian, Slackware etc.
>>

>Bash is a suprisingly able interface after all! ;-)

Where I spend most of my time in Linux, also something that does not
come standard with FreeBSD ...

>>Might be time that I get used to a Linux Desktop, wether it be KDE Gnome
>>or whatever.
>>

><sharp blinding blue-light flash>You now don't remember that Gnome ever
>existed.  There is no Gnome.</return to normal daylight>

Gnome is an Ubuntu default I think ... :-) so far I have a slight KDE
preference, but XFCE is also nice ... <GRIN>

Thanks,

Russell