[CLUG-chat] Exploiting Open Source

Charles Oertel charles at finebushpeople.net
Fri Aug 25 13:44:19 SAST 2006

Hey Piet

Pieter Ackermann wrote:
> Hey come on Charles, things are not that bad!
>
> I have been doing consulting work now for about 6 years and never have I
> used delivery notes or signed time sheets. During this time I have had
> not more than 2 or 3 problems where my account was queried. I do about
> 20 to 30 invoices a month. There are still decent people out there. Lots
> of them!

Ja - and I am one of them.  I'm just like you - I only invoice after
successful delivery, take clients on trust, etc.  But this last client
actually had video cameras installed to watch the developers!  They
insisted on plans detailing tasks by the hour, six months in advance
(clearly idiots when it comes to understanding IT development), and then
refused to accept the timesheets we handed in.

When we discussed security, they wanted the firewall between the
developers and the development server!  I kid you not!

But getting booted out with false accusations of trying to steal their
(non-existent) IP certainly hurt my feelings.  To me, I am only one
person, not a separate thick-skinned businessman.  (Paul Scott knows the
drill - they wanted to sue him even though he turned down the job
altogether).

> ps: Now cars; lets not get started. Did you know that the cars being
> exported have less than 50% local content (by value or by mass, I
> wonder?) the rest all being imported and then exported again? How is
> that for tax breaks, inefficiency, politics and big business?

No, I didn't know that.  What I _do_ know is that it seems increasingly
frequent that when I stop on my motorbike at the traffic lights, cars
try to dice me and cut me off (and I am a cautious, considerate rider).

regards
Charles Oertel