[CLUG-chat] Exploiting Open Source

Charles Oertel charles at finebushpeople.net
Fri Aug 25 12:57:03 SAST 2006

It _is_ Friday

Has anybody else noticed that there are certain companies that are
trying to exploit the goodwill and community of open source to their own
benefit entirely with absolutely no regard for the people they hurt in
the process?

One company I know of, wants everything to be done using open source to
avoid license fees - but does not want to contribute anything the
community and even fired a whole team of developers with extreme
prejudice because they were worried that their idea might be exposed
(when it is all prior art anyway).

Tellingly, they think nothing of spending tens of thousands on legal advice.

In fact (he says licking his wounds), increasingly I am hearing cr at p
like "Business is business", "Don't take it personally, it's just
business", and "I keep my personal life separate from business".  I
think the world is getting more and more stuffed because it is
impossible to stop these sharks from giving honest, decent people a
jolly good rodgering.

And before this job, I lost money to another client who was driven by an
ambitious marketing manager who thought she would save her company a
living wage and had their site built by some youngster who seems to
specialize in Swiss cheese (you know, security holes all over).

wtf is wrong with the world?  Motorcars are also becoming an
increasingly sorry lot...

regards
Charles