[CLUG-chat] 64-bit Linux

Andre Truter linux at trusoft.co.za
Fri Aug 25 08:55:03 SAST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-25 at 06:35 +0200, Russell Tiedt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just got a dual core em64t processor (Intel), and I'd like  to try
> 64-bit  Linux.
>
> Which distro's have a 64-bit version, and what are the URL's please.

I see Paul already mentioned Ubuntu and Debian.
SuSE also offer a well integrated 64-bit solution.
http://www.opensuse.org

You can just select the minimal install and it will give you a
no-gui-system. (Most of my installations are like that.  I only have two
SUSE systems with GUI, my laptop and my workstation)

It also works quite well as a desktop, with seamless integration of
64-bit and 32-bit applications.

I never realized that OpenOffice is 32-bit until I read Paul's mail.  I
checked my OOo installation on my 64-bit system and found it to be
32-bit. (I suppose it is due to OOo's dependency on Java)
I have never had to do any fancy footwork to run 32-bit programs on a
64-bit system.  Just install and run it.

RedHat/Fedora should also have 64-bit versions available.
--
Andre Truter | Software Consultant | Registered Linux user #185282
Jabber: andre.truter at gmail.com | http://www.trusoft.co.za

~ I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly ~