[CLUG-chat] Gentoo 2006.0 DVD ISOs

Andre Truter linux at trusoft.co.za
Mon Aug 21 15:55:48 SAST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 15:29 +0200, Mike Morris wrote:

> > There are a lot of reasons one can give for using Gentoo.  Some of them
> > are even good reasons.  Some of those are even true.  But everybody
> > always seems to use the oh-my-god-optimised reason, when it really just
> > isn't relevant.
>
> I did *not* say "OMG-to-the-nth-degree" optimisation.  Just used
> reasonable optimisation choices for the CPU in question (after careful
> research) and, yes!  there /was/ a noticeable performance improvement -
> certainly some of which came from compiling all appropriate drivers into
> the kernel and leaving out everything else.

OK, but you can do this with any distro.  This is not something that is
unique to Gentoo.
The kernel source is available for any distro.

--
Andre Truter | Software Consultant | Registered Linux user #185282
Jabber: andre.truter at gmail.com | http://www.trusoft.co.za

~ I'm not anti-social; I'm just not user friendly ~