[CLUG-chat] Gentoo 2006.0 DVD ISOs

Mike Morris mikro2nd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 15:29:25 SAST 2006

Jonathan Hitchcock wrote:

> I promise that removing the three nops, and unrolling those four loops,
> did not increase the performance of your software in any really
> noticeable way.

Agreed.

> There are a lot of reasons one can give for using Gentoo.  Some of them
> are even good reasons.  Some of those are even true.  But everybody
> always seems to use the oh-my-god-optimised reason, when it really just
> isn't relevant.

I did *not* say "OMG-to-the-nth-degree" optimisation.  Just used
reasonable optimisation choices for the CPU in question (after careful
research) and, yes!  there /was/ a noticeable performance improvement -
certainly some of which came from compiling all appropriate drivers into
the kernel and leaving out everything else.

mike morris        :: mikro2nd at gmail.com
cOcO technologies  :: http://mikro2nd.net/

http://mikro2nd.net/
http://mikro2nd.net/blog/mike/