[CLUG-chat] Gentoo 2006.0 DVD ISOs

Alan Mckinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Mon Aug 21 12:59:02 SAST 2006

On Mon, 2006-08-21 at 12:33 +0200, Mike Morris wrote:
> Alan Mckinnon wrote:
>
> > You absolutely need to get high speed net access to do Gentoo justice,
> > as you will use several 100M per month to keep it up to date. It's a
> > bleeding edge distro and subject to *very* frequent updates :-)
>
> I am moved to disagree (with caveats ;-)  Having used Gentoo on a server
> box now for a couple of years(?-ish) over a (hooray!
> now-replaced-by-dsl) analogue leased-line (56Kbps)...

Painful wasn't it? I ran a box myself under those conditions for a
year :-)

> One of the BIG advantages in this situation is that I at all times
> *know* *exactly* what software is on the server and why, plus having
> optimised it for the old hardware sitting underneath, it still runs
> reasonably quickly - at least well-enough for the purpose - more than I
> would care to guess for any non-source-based distro.

If you have the self-discipline to keep the box as it is and not fiddle
with it, then there's no need to update it. But as we know, the power of
gentoo is very seductive and the urge to 'emerge -avuND world' can get
very very intense...

So your caveats are very valid, but I often wonder - how many owners of
gentoo boxen manage to resist?

alan