[CLUG-chat] Gentoo 2006.0 DVD ISOs

Mike Morris mikro2nd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 12:33:43 SAST 2006

Alan Mckinnon wrote:

> You absolutely need to get high speed net access to do Gentoo justice,
> as you will use several 100M per month to keep it up to date. It's a
> bleeding edge distro and subject to *very* frequent updates :-)

I am moved to disagree (with caveats ;-)  Having used Gentoo on a server
box now for a couple of years(?-ish) over a (hooray!
now-replaced-by-dsl) analogue leased-line (56Kbps)...

One of the BIG advantages in this situation is that I at all times
*know* *exactly* what software is on the server and why, plus having
optimised it for the old hardware sitting underneath, it still runs
reasonably quickly - at least well-enough for the purpose - more than I
would care to guess for any non-source-based distro.

mike morris        :: mikro2nd at gmail.com
cOcO technologies  :: http://mikro2nd.net/

http://mikro2nd.net/
http://mikro2nd.net/blog/mike/