[CLUG-chat] Gentoo 2006.0 DVD ISOs

Alan Mckinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Aug 17 16:43:53 SAST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-17 at 14:57 +0200, Percy Langa wrote:
> Hey cluggers
>
> I wanna gentoo a spin. Why? I got a bit of time on my hands.
>
> Problem is:
> 1) The freedom toaster has Gentoo 2006.0 LiveCD, with only KDE :O( &
> Gentoo 2006.0 Universal install CD
> 2) I dun' have access high speed internet to download the rest of
> Gentoo (Gnome, XFCE4.2, etc)

Hi Percy

You absolutely need to get high speed net access to do Gentoo justice,
as you will use several 100M per month to keep it up to date. It's a
bleeding edge distro and subject to *very* frequent updates :-)

Once it's up and running you can of course just leave it as is and
update it when you occasionally do have net access - I did this myself
for a long while but each time I did do an update (maybe once a month)
the downloads were about 300M each time. The other option is to generate
a list of sources that have changed that you need, to download them
somewhere else and copy them into gentoo's download dir. This very
quickly gets very tedious, especially when you forget that one 10k patch
that you need to be able to merge the latest Xorg...

Meanwhile, install 2006.0 by all means and use it. It will work just
fine. It will also take about 36 solid hours of compiling to install
everything you mention. And another 12 if you want OOo *and* have a
snappy machine

alan