[CLUG-chat] Telkom Alternatives Advocacy Campaign

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed Aug 16 16:38:42 SAST 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-16 at 10:42 +0200, Mogamat Abrahams wrote:
> Jonathan Carter wrote:
>   > He says the idea for the campaign is based on the successful Firefox
> > campaign, where the open source organisation bought a double-page spread
> > in the New York Times to highlight that there was an open source
> > alternative to Internet Explorer.
> Good idea if you ALREADY have an alternative! Where are the alternatives?
> I dont see how any more complaining (and between us all we've done a few
> hundred thousand rands worth of it!) will help the situation!

But complaining in an effective way is the ONLY thing that will ever
change the current setup. It's unlikely to be done by the SNO (who more
than likely will see a gravy train and jump on board - it's a commercial
company after all, not a social betterment foundation), and it
definitely won't be legislated by the state (who own half of Telkom....)

The only thing that has ever driven prices down is consumers telling
providers that they won't accept high prices any more, and doing it in
an effective way that gets attention.

alan