[CLUG-chat] Accounting system on Linux

Andre Coetzee andre at do.co.za
Tue Aug 15 16:13:18 SAST 2006

On Tuesday 15 August 2006 15:01, Pieter Ackermann wrote:
> Stephan February wrote:
> > peter retief wrote:
> >> I have been and still am on the lookout for an accounting program to
> >> replace the likes of Quickbooks and Pastel.
> >> These 2 programs are the biggest hurdle in getting small businesses to
> >> adopt Linux on the desktop, in my experience.
> >>
> >> Accounts are so damn simple why is this being such a difficulty?
> >
> > I'm using Quasar to run my business. My wife is a CPA, and she uses
> > the app more then I do. So far so good. We've tried the various
> > browser-based solutions, but nothing does it for me like a rich UI in
> > the native widgets of the platform.

imho Turbocash is probably better than Quasar but then again GNUcash is
also great afaik Turbocash just doesn't run on Linux yet, it all depends on
what you want to use a system for.
Some people still use pine (and pine really rocks!) for e-mail similiarly
there are very large differences between systems and what those systems
are designed to do and the reports (or outputs) that they produce.

I am biased because I make Cubit, but I have been doing this for six
years now and Cubit is not even close to done yet, still we have thousands
of users and grow daily, mainly because we supply users with what they
need. It is a lot more work than I thought though and in retrospect I would
probably not have undertaken it if it was six years ago...

;)

andre
--
Cubit Accounting Software (Pty) Ltd