[CLUG-chat] Poll for Password Managers

Jeremy Thurgood jerith at jerith.za.net
Thu Aug 10 10:53:26 SAST 2006

Tom Coetser wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just want to get an idea of passwords managers you guys are using.
>
> At the moment I'm using revelation which is a very nice pw manager with all
> the features that I need, but
> - lots of gnome specific support libs to run under kde (kubuntu)
> - does not sit in the tray
> - needs a gui to access the password file, so getting to my passwords via ssh
> from remote is a problem

I don't use a password manager, but I do keep a list of passwords (along
with a bunch of other sensitive information) in an encrypted file that I
mount through cryptoloop.  It's all commandline-based and the mountpoint
is the home directory of a "crypto" user, which means my bash history is
also encrypted.  A little labour-intensive to set up and I haven't found
a way to automatically unmount the loopback cleanly yet, but it does the
job and appeals to my (somewhat warped) sense of aesthetics.  :-)

--J