[CLUG-chat] Programming Intro....

Hendrik Visage hvjunk at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 12:03:17 SAST 2006

On 8/3/06, Daniel Shaw <dshaw78 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > However, something that I Will advise people on, is to get a decent
> > book on algorithms and
> > data structures.
>
> Ah ha! More good advice.. The quandry once again is how to judge a
> book by it's cover. No mean feat. Do you have any recomendations?

The ultimate on this subject is (and will alwyas be??) "The Art of
Computer Programming"
by Donald Knuth... but that's pricey

I have (had?) a nice one with pseudo code (or is that one C?) that I
lent out, which I
think is called "Data Structures and Algorithms" by Webster but I'm
not sure of the
author's surname.

What to look for would be a language agnostic book showing the principles rather
than just the implementations. What you'll find is that once you've
understand the
principles, it's just a case of choisng the right algorithm/data
structures, as after that
the implementations are available plenty ful, and the C++ STL have
nearly all of them
already implemented in the fastest methods.

--
Hendrik Visage