[CLUG-chat] Programming Intro....

Kevin Colville kevin at maths.uct.ac.za
Fri Aug 4 09:43:03 SAST 2006

On 03/08/2006 23:30:44, Daniel Shaw wrote:
>> However, something that I Will advise people on, is to get a decent
>> book on algorithms and
>> data structures.
>
> Ah ha! More good advice.. The quandry once again is how to judge a
> book by it's cover. No mean feat. Do you have any recomendations?

Get Sedgewick  (was a student of Knuth and wrote his thesis on
quicksort)  "Algorithms in C".

Note that if you choose python as your starting language then you'll
find that its lists and dictionaries offer most of what you need.

All programmers need to know algorithms and data structures.  The same
way a civil engineer needs to know about cement and steel.

Kevin