[CLUG-chat] Intro into programming.

Daniel Shaw dshaw78 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 15:36:37 SAST 2006

> The C FAQ has an answer with which I agree:
>
> 18.10:  What's a good book for learning C?
>
> A:      There are far too many books on C to list here; it's impossible
>         to rate them all.  Many people believe that the best one was
>         also the first: _The C Programming Language_, by Kernighan and
>         Ritchie ("K&R," now in its second edition).  Opinions vary on
>         K&R's suitability as an initial programming text: many of us did

Thank you. I really appreciate the reply. Opinions will always vary on
anything, but that's exactly it.. too many books to know where to
start, and this seems like a great recommendation. Good reviews on
Amazon too. I think I'm going to order it.

> So: Do the online examples, tutorials, etc - but move on to the K&R book
> as soon as it becomes comprehensible. There is also a Linux application

If you're still in the mood for another Clug reply, some pointers to
your personal favourite online tutorials to recommend would save a
fair amount of trial and error with google too..

Thanks again,
Daniel