[CLUG-chat] Intro into programming.

Adrianna Pinska adrianna.pinska at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 11:55:17 SAST 2006

This isn't strictly about the choice of language, but it is
tangentially related.  I suggest *not* using an IDE; it's a great way
to never actually learn how to compile/install/otherwise build your
code (and be completely lost when you change environments).  It's a
lot easier to find out how to get an IDE to do the things you know you
need to do than to figure out how the IDE was making your code work
when you no longer have an IDE.

I recommend a text editor with good syntax highlighting and
indentation support -- that's the best part (IMO) of an IDE, without
the other baggage of an IDE.

My suggestion: Kate, which is the advanced KDE text editor.  It has
highlighting support for lots and lots of languages, and cool plugins.

On a completely unrelated note: learn about version control (e.g. CVS,
Subversion), and start using it -- even on silly little personal
projects.  It's a really useful tool, which I think all programmers
should know about -- but some people manage to miss it entirely, for
some reason.

Unrelated note the second: learn about regular expressions.  They're
very useful for parsing text, no matter what language you're using.
It's like knowing an extra mathematical operation. :)

--
~ Registered Linux User #334504 ~
"Curiously deep, the slumber of crimson thoughts: