[CLUG-chat] Intro into programming.

Stephan February clug at adeptiva.com
Thu Aug 3 11:17:23 SAST 2006

Andre Truter wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-03 at 16:35 +0800, Stephan February wrote:
>

>> Not true. Using Skype creates *huge* momentum for a proprietary platform
>> that gets *everyone* locked-in in the long run. Skype is as harmless to
>> VOIP as Windows was as an OS.
>> Why not use OpenWengo instead of Skype ?
>>

> I know this is splitting hair, but I do see a difference.
>
> You can use skype and then switch over to OpenWengo.  Nothing prevents
> you from doing that.
> You can convince all your buddies to also switch.  THere is nothing
> tangible that prevents you.

This is simply not true. In my case, my "buddies" are customers who pay
me for Linux server support, and who have switched to Skype for all
their roaming users. Two weeks ago this client of mine started putting
pressure on me to start using Skype so that their roaming users can stay
in touch. I would pay good money for a closed-source Asterisk-to-Skype
bridge that will run on my office's Asterisk setup, allowing me to forgo
Skype on the desktop altogether. Alas, I'm now running Skype on my
desktop at my client's request.

With communications software like Skype there is the often-ignored
network-effect. I don't just have to convince my "buddies" to switch
from Skype, but also my buddies' buddies... etc. etc.

As I said before, I don't have illusions as to the non-free nature of
Java, but neither am I ignorant of how equally dangerous software like
Skype is. I only take exception to the double standard of pushing one
vs. bashing the other on the list.

Cheers
Stephan