[CLUG-chat] Intro into programming.

Daniel Shaw dshaw78 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 11:01:44 SAST 2006

> Look at http://freshmeat.net/browse/160/ - note
> that most free programs are written
> in C. If you want to make a useful contribution
> to the free software world, you will make the
> biggest difference if you learn C. If you really
> think that C is too scary (and it is not) then

To change the slant of the thread slightly.. If one wanted to learn C
- and to be able to use it in a useful way - where woudl one start?

It seems to me there's a ton of basic tutorials online and beginner
books that tell you what a variable is and how to write 'hello world'.
Then there's a bunch of books that are pretty advanced and assume you
know a bit already.. I find it difficult to find any reference or self
learning material that is suffciently advanced to take you to the
point that you can be useful in C, but is still aimed at someone who
has not done a CS degree nor has any working programming experience.
Does anyone know of anything more or less at this level? (A book
available on amazon would be first prize)

Cheers,
Daniel